What makes a target?
- Wrong place/wrong time ie. works for a dysfunctional organization.
- Has an unresolved dispute with the bully- this escalates a bully game.
- Previous target leaves.
- Different to others, eg different culture, over qualified, alienates others.
- Shows vulnerability.
- Bully is a new manager.
- Conscientious, agreeable, quiet achiever.
- Bully is jealous or threatened.
- Inflame bully game by revealing distress eg ‘doing nothing’.
- Whistle blow: mismanagement, malpractice, fraud.
- Inappropriate social and communication skills- others bully as payback.
- Padlocked to the job and can’t leave.
- Physical injury and can’t work as hard now.
- Paralysed due to earlier but totally different traumas or other personal difficulties.
- Socially unassertive or avoid conflict.
- Support a colleague who is being bullied – you’re next!
- An active trade union official.
- And many more…
How targets can be injured by workplace bullying?
|Family and sex life||