About Evelyn M. Field, OAM
Psychologist - Author - Speaker
People who need people are the luckiest people in the world, but it isn't always that easy. Some people don't know how to connect and relate to others in a sociable, intimate or caring manner. Others don't know how to protect themselves from difficult, mean or nasty members of their tribe, which limits their social interactions. Effective social survival skills empower people to relate with confidence and deal with school or workplace bullying. Thus social and emotional resilience are essential survival skills for today's society.
Evelyn M. Field OAM is a practising psychologist in Melbourne and a Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society. She provides regular training to schools and organizations, as well as training mental health professionals. She was as an Accredited Speaking Member of National Speakers Association of Australia. She has spoken in New Zealand, Belgium, Spain, USA, Vietnam, Norway, Copenhagen, Wales, Italy and Israel.
Evelyn has developed a simple six-step social and emotional resilience model, which empowers children and adults to relate more effectively to others. These social survival skills are based upon her personal and professional experience. It has been presented to adolescents, parents, teachers, mental health professionals and organizations. Her unique presentations are regarded as entertaining, ethical and educational. She uses a variety of techniques eg cases, stories, cartoons, magic, role-plays, to engage participants and help them develop new skills.
She is one of the media spokespersons for the Australian Psychological Society and has done over 800 media interviews on a wide range of topics. She appears regularly on television, including the "Today Show", "Good Morning Australia", "A Current Affair", "Seven thirty Report", "Today Tonight Show", Channel Seven News. She was Resident Psychologist for Channel Ten's "9 AM" show with David and Kim with a focus on relationships and current affairs.
Evelyn was convener for 7 years of the Therapist Special Interest Group (SIG) of the International Association of Workplace Bullying and Harassment (IAWBH), and has been a member of numerous practitioner psychological associations. She was on the professional advisory board of the National Centre Against Bullying. She was on the board of Victims of Crime Assistance League, (Victoria) for 5 years, spent 20 years as a Board Member of the Mental Health Foundation of Victoria and 11 years as Honorary Secretary of the Australian Association for Mental Health.
Evelyn provides a range of range professional services (refer Speaking) and products (refer Products and Services) to deal with school and workplace bullying to assist children, adolescents and adults develop their emotional and social resilience. These include:
- Bully Blocking® (2007) is a best selling, self-help book for kids, parents and schools and is the updated version of the best seller Bully Busting (Finch 1999). It is based on her social and resilience model and includes the six simple social survival skills. These books have been translated into Italian, Croatian, Arabic, Korean and Czechoslovakian.
- Evelyn wrote a chapter on parenting for Bullying Solutions for the National Coalition Against Bullying.
- Bully Blocking at Work (2010) and Strategies for Surviving Bullying at Work (2011) reveal her expertise as an authority on understanding and managing workplace bullying. This two part series are published by Australian Academic Press.
- Evelyn is currently the lead author completing a chapter on 'Diagnosis and treatment - repairing injuries caused by workplace bullying' for a Handbook of Workplace Bullying, Emotional Abuse and Harassment with Dr Pat Ferris, to be published by Springer with Premilla D’Cruz and Ernesto Noronha as Chief Editors (2019).
- She is also writing a self-help book for children on blocking bullies.